Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LAST WEEKEND



Had a busy weekend. Kayla's wee buddies came over on Friday afternoon. Leoni, Johanna and baby Sophie who are all Dutch and Simon who's German. James loves playing with them too. Simple pleasures - just took them to the toddler playpark in our complex and they all had great fun.

Had a relaxing Saturday morning then all headed up to Sembawang to James' Tumble Tots class. He's now been moved into the Gymbobs class (for 5-7 year olds) as the younger class was just way too young for him. He has a good time but I can't say I'm hugely impressed with the class. Gym Joeys was much better but they don't have that here!! Never mind, as long as he enjoys himself that's the main thing.

After Tumble Tots we headed to the Furniture Mall (again) and finally ordered the sofas that we like. Gabriel did a bit of Senegalese bargaining and managed to get about $500 off the original price so not bad! They're being delivered on 23 March and I can't wait. Our house is starting to look a wee bit more like a home and these will help immensely. They'll also hopefully be much more comfortable than the Ikea futon that we sit on at the moment!

On the way along to Suntec for dinner, we walked under the biggest spider on its web I've ever seen. I may not have noticed it but Gabriel kindly brought it to my attention which made me freak out. My lovely wee son kept saying "come on Mummy its ok its ok - its only a spider its not going to hurt you"! He's such a wee cutie sometimes.

Up early on Sunday morning to take James to his taikwondo class. He really enjoys this and responds really well to the teacher - who's just great with the kids. After that we headed out to Changi Beach Park but as we arrived it was getting very very dull. The beach here is ok - not great - but its a great place for any plane spotters and its right under the flight path for Changi Airport. What a busy airport it is - there were planes zooming right over our heads - skimming the trees - about every 3 minutes!

Gabriel and James had just got changed to have a dip in the sea when the heavens opened. Anyone living in Singapore who's reading this will know what I mean when I say the rain in Singapore is something else and those who don't live here really can't appreciate how heavy it gets!! We found shelter in the bin shelter (poo - eee) whilst waiting for the taxi - who of course went to the wrong place and took about 20 minutes to pick us up!!

Came home soaked and all had baths and showers and then had a very surreal conversation with James. He's obviously starting to think about the differences between girls and boys and asked me (not for the first time) why I don't have a "manny" (i.e. wee man - Scottish for willy!) I said just because ladies and girls are different and they don't have one. He then totally freaked me out by saying "so was there lots of blood when they cut it off?" I had to try hard not to laugh - but managed to convince him that I'd never had one in the first place!!

Gabes and I had our belated Valentine's date (cancelled as I had flu) on Sunday night and left the kids with the lovely local lady Ru who'd been recommended to us by our neighbour. I was so proud of my kids - they weren't phased at all about being left with someone they didn't know. When we left James was happily showing her his toys and Ru said they both went off to bed no problem. They really do make me proud!

We went to see Slumdog Millionaire - for once a film that actually lived up to the hype! Its absolutely traumatising in parts but still a very very good film. The children who played the main characters at the beginning were amazing.

Anyway, will sign off now. Nothing much more to say - except I booked my flights for our trip home in June today so I'm a very happy Catherine tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment